Yesterday my friend called my up and told me that he was facing some error while using his external hard disk drive. He was being shown this error ”External Hard Disk Not Recognized“.
If you too are facing the same problem, then today here I have an easy solution to your problem.
External Hard Disk Not Recognized Error
If you are trying to use your external hard disk drive on your computer and are facing any type of this error then this tutorial is solution to your problem.
The common Hard Disk errors include -
- External hard disk not recognized error
- Light appearing on the hard disk but not being shown in my computer
- Hearing sound from the drive
- Hard disk working fine on other devices but not on one PC or laptop
- Hard disk appearing in devices list but not in my computer and so on.
So these were some of the common external hard disk not recognized, so lets learn how to fix them.
How to Fix External Hard Disk Not Recognized Error ?
To fix external hard disk not recognized error follow these steps -
1. First of all go to Start >> Search box >> Type cmd.
2. When it shows Command Prompt in the search list results, right click over it and choose “Run as Administrator” option. Click Okay on the next screen.
3. After that you will see that command prompt will open. Now you need to enter few commands to fix hard disk not recognized error.
4. First of all type this command “set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1” without quotation marks or (” “), and press Enter.
5. Now in the next line type this command “start devmgmt.msc” and press Enter.
6. You will see that a new Device Manager window will open.
7. From the menu bar go to View >> Select View Hidden Devices.
8. Now expand the ”Disk Drives” and “Universal serial bus controller” nodes by clicking the small arrow in front of them.
9. If you find any grey devices, right click on that and choose uninstall. Repeat the process for all grey devices in Disk Drives and USB sections.
10. After this just restart your PC and connect your hard disk.
You will see your hard disk working without any problem.
So the above troubleshooter process can help you easily correct external hard disk not recognized error easily.
This troubleshooter works for any type of USB hard disk. Not only this, you can use this for fixing any type of USB device error.
I hope that was helpful but if you face any further errors, please let me know in comments below.